Friday, June 20, 2014

Houston IS my BFF

A Home Health Nurse, who had moved to the Woodlands about a year ago, came to my house last week.  It was the initial informational visit prior to receiving Home Health Services, and so most of the time was spent answering Past History and Review of Systems questions.  She was sweet and kind, soft and well mannered, with a sweet voice still not influenced by “Southern Drawl”, and long blond hair that curled lightly about the cream sweater she was wearing, which distracted me during the visit, wanting to feel the fabric for weight and it seeming totally inappropriate in 93* weather.  Still, she seemed comfortable, and even the a/c dropped the temp to below my own comfort level, I let it run and rubbed my bare and neuropathic left foot as my toes turned blue. 

 

The only trouble I had answering the questions was the tight rope that was around my neck, squeezing with so much force that even getting breath in and out was a challenge, let alone forming words and sentences. 

Her pen checked boxes and scribbled quick notes as she worked to get through each item quickly. 

“Have you ever had asthma; rash; broken bone;…(name any illness, symptom or trauma).””

Yes, No, Yes, Yes, No, No, Yes, and I don’t know.

“Can you bathe, dress, brush your teeth?

Yes Yes Yes

The questions went on, and I answered them all until she asked me, having the information of my next of kin in two other separate states, “Why did you move to Houston?”

I stammered. The answer was right there, but if she had to ask, how could I explain to her?  Why would I choose to move to a city, where I knew no one, and would be hours away from my son in Louisiana, and a thousand miles from my daughter in Phoenix.  I began thinking of all the many happenings and choices, disasters and triumphs which had brought me to this point, this place, but could not repeat them, where would I even start?  The question, though, is more appropriately, why do I STAY in Houston? The crime, the traffic, the politics!

Yes, crime is an issue; traffic sucks; the politics are…politics. 

But the people are awesome.  I don’t necessarily have lots of best friends, and my life keeps me homebound much of the time. But I’m never alone, even when I’m by myself.  The people I know in this town are pricelessly loving.  They are creative, active, thinking, and giving.  They are healers, writers, poets, musicians, scientists.  They are performers, entertainers, teachers, and learners.  They model their beliefs, and they are Houston.  My BFFs. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice write up, I wish I could feel the way you feel about Houstonians. But for the most part I feel they are too complacent and scared to move out of their comfort zones..I can't wait until I can leave and be around like minded individuals..Hope you are feeling better and check out this link..I thought of you when I saw this...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10104536562933435&fref=nf